The LSSA undertakes advocacy initiatives in the interests of the profession and the public. As part of this mandate it
- protects and promotes the independence of the judiciary and of the legal profession;
- supports the efficient administration of the justice system by engaging with stakeholders on the justice system;
- comments on policy documents and draft legislation in the interests of the public and the profession;
- monitors national and local elections in cooperation with the Electoral Commission (IEC) as well as regional elections through the SADC Lawyers Association;
- cooperates with the SADC Lawyers Association and colleagues in the SADC region and internationally in democratisation initiatives – see the SADC Tribunal matter;
- coordinates and supports national access to justice initiatives such as the National Wills Week (LSSA initiative), pro bono by the attorneys’ profession, Access to Justice Week and the National Schools Moot Court Competition.
National Wills Week
National Wills Week is held every year. During this week attorneys across the county draft free basic wills for members of the pblic. This year National Wills Week will be held from 16 to 20 September 2019. Read more.