SCAM alert – Scamster purporting to have incorrectly paid funds from the LSSA incorrectly into law firm bank account and requesting refund
The LSSA has been informed of a scam this week in which the caller ‘Antony’ purports to be from the Law Society of South Africa (LSSA) and to have deposited funds incorrectly into the attorneys’ firm bank account, and then requesting a refund.
We urge attorney to be vigilant and alert to such scams and to inform their bookkeeping staff too.
If you receive such a request, please contact the LSSA Finance Department immediately at (012) 366 8800 or e-mail: contact@LSSA.org.za to confirm whether this is a legitimate transaction or a scam.
Some signs to look out for (see attached):
- Incorrect address on the document
- Telephone number is a fax number
- Incorrect banking details for the LSSA
- Signatory provides only a cell/mobile number
- E-mail address is not an LSSA e-mail address but a generic one.
Good practice always requires confirmation from the client (telephonic and written) and from the client’s bank (stamped original).