The ILFA Flagship Programme facilitates secondment opportunities for African lawyers to take part in a three-month secondment programme in law offices of international law firms and corporations based in London, Paris and Dubai. Additionally, the programme provides an academic enrichment series that incorporates training modules on various topics relevant to the African legal sector. Finally, the ILFA lawyers undergo seminars at the prestigious Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
Placements offer an annual curriculum of the most relevant parts of the participating law firms’ existing training programmes. These include the following practice areas: international arbitration, intellectual property, project finance and sovereign debt. A wide variety of industries are covered from mining to construction, banking to oil and gas.
Flagship secondees will be provided with:
- Visa application assistance
- Visa fee
- Flight arrangements
- Roundtrip airfare
- Transportation to and from the airport
- Appropriate accommodation
- Weekly allowance
- Travel cards for local travel in city of placement
- Transportation to Oxford and Cambridge Universities
Applications for ILFA’s Flagship Programme for placements in London, Paris, and Dubai are open annually during the first quarter of the year.
Applicants must have:
- Degree in law and be a qualified practising lawyer in any African jurisdiction;
- Permanent residence of an African country;
- Currently working in an African jurisdiction (in-house, private practice, government). Exceptions made for approved sabbaticals i.e studying abroad etc);
- Minimum of 5 years’ qualified experience;
- Excellent academics (minimum of a 2.1 or equivalent according to British undergraduate degree classification system) from a university with a reputable law faculty;
- Professional legal experience at the national level, with emphasis in public international law, corporate, commercial, banking and finance law;
- Committed to developing legal skills in dispute resolution, international arbitration, litigation, intellectual property, project finance, extractive industries (oil & gas, mining), construction, public international law, banking and finance;
- Must be fluent in English. (French, Portuguese, Arabic desired for certain placements);
- Must at least be 18 years old and not exceed the age of 35 by the start of the programme.
Secondees will be placed with one of ILFA’s firms and corporations. As such, their legal expertise should match those of the host firm’s areas of practice e.g. corporate and commercial law, dispute resolution (arbitration, litigation and ADR), public international law, banking and finance etc..