The First Interview Scheme by attorneys
The attorneys’ profession, thought the provincial law societies, provides a Free First Interview Scheme to make attorneys’ services more readily available to members of the public. This scheme has been introduced to assist those members of the public who would not normally make use of the services of an attorney, or who may hesitate to consult an attorney for fear of the possible high fees resulting from their services, or for those who do not qualify for pro bono assistance.
How does the First Interview Scheme work?
- An attorney will carry out an initial interview with any member of the public at no charge for the first half an hour.
- The purpose of the initial interview is for the attorney to advise whether you have a legitimate/valid case in a specific matter (this is legal advice or information relating to the merits of the case).
- Only the first interview is free of charge.
- Any legal steps which may be taken, or any further consultations arising from the interview, are payable at the normal tariff, which must be agreed upon between the attorney and the client. The client will then become a paying client of the attorney.
Where do I find an attorney I can consult on a first free interview basis?
The relevant provincial law society will refer you to an attorney who will see you for a first free half-hour interview. Attorneys who participate in this scheme are available on a roster basis. You will be referred to the next available attorney on the roster.
- For referrals to attorneys in Gauteng, Mpumalanga, North West and Limpopo, call (012) 338 5800 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- For referrals to attorneys in the Western, Eastern and Northern Cape, call (021) 443 6700 or e-mail email@example.com
- For referrals to attorneys in KwaZulu-Natal, call (033) 345 1304 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- For referrals to attorneys in the Free State, call (051) 447 3237 or e-mail: email@example.com